Forum etiquette

Forum etiquette

Postby taschutt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 am

Hello CNY Landowners!

Recently I have been having to spend more time cleaning up threads that have pretty defamatory (and sometimes coarse) language. So much so, that I feel it's time to address this head-on. Mind you: I'm not trying to be the thought police here - differing points of view are what make the world go 'round, and keep us all from dying of boredom. However, this does not include comments that serve no other purpose than to insult, demean, or stir up trouble for nothing more than "entertainment".

There's a common rule in forums like these: "Don't feed the trolls". In other words, if someone looks like they are just trying to stir up trouble, don't give them the satisfaction of accomplishing it.

So, for clarity's sake - let's set a couple ground rules:

1) I retain the right to pull a post that I feel crosses a line. I won't go try to completely define what equates to crossing a line - I'm going to keep that line fuzzy on purpose. But a good rule of thumb is if you think "This may get pulled" or "Should I really say this - it's kind of insulting", then you probably shouldn't post it in its current form.

2) I also retain the right to suspend or ban someone from the forums for either extreme or repeated bad behavior.

3) This forum is to help create a community, and unite us in our fight to safely exploit resources on our land. There will be disagreements - there always are in a family. Arguments are FINE so long as they don't get personal, and work towards a goal and better understanding.

We're all in this together and we're all getting frustrated by delays. But we need to try to keep cool heads in this effort. Hot tempers gain us nothing, and neither does "poking the bear" (if you know what I mean).

Thanks everyone for your understanding with this, and I welcome your feedback any time - on this or anything else.

Tim.
taschutt
Site Admin

Re: Forum etiquette

Postby njed284 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Tim. Thanks for the reminder. If you would post [without identifying the poster] a couple of examples it may help all of us.

Perhaps a couple of more moderaters with some of your authority would take a bit of the load off of you. Ed
njed284

Postby loomisdairy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 am

taschutt wrote:Hello CNY Landowners!

Recently I have been having to spend more time cleaning up threads that have pretty defamatory (and sometimes coarse) language. So much so, that I feel it's time to address this head-on. Mind you: I'm not trying to be the thought police here - differing points of view are what make the world go 'round, and keep us all from dying of boredom. However, this does not include comments that serve no other purpose than to insult, demean, or stir up trouble for nothing more than "entertainment".

There's a common rule in forums like these: "Don't feed the trolls". In other words, if someone looks like they are just trying to stir up trouble, don't give them the satisfaction of accomplishing it.

So, for clarity's sake - let's set a couple ground rules:

1) I retain the right to pull a post that I feel crosses a line. I won't go try to completely define what equates to crossing a line - I'm going to keep that line fuzzy on purpose. But a good rule of thumb is if you think "This may get pulled" or "Should I really say this - it's kind of insulting", then you probably shouldn't post it in its current form.

2) I also retain the right to suspend or ban someone from the forums for either extreme or repeated bad behavior.

3) This forum is to help create a community, and unite us in our fight to safely exploit resources on our land. There will be disagreements - there always are in a family. Arguments are FINE so long as they don't get personal, and work towards a goal and better understanding.

We're all in this together and we're all getting frustrated by delays. But we need to try to keep cool heads in this effort. Hot tempers gain us nothing, and neither does "poking the bear" (if you know what I mean).

Thanks everyone for your understanding with this, and I welcome your feedback any time - on this or anything else.

Tim.

That's all good, but I reserve the right to sound off on a nimby that pals around with Josh Fox. If that gets me banned GOOD. I won't poke the bear, I want to feed him a NIMBY SANDWICH
loomisdairy

Postby taschutt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

@njed

Nah - let's just rely on people using their best judgement. Again, if you have a little voice that says "Maybe this isn't the best idea", listen to it. And if you feel the need to type your response in ALL CAPS, that should be another warning flag. I promise that someone isn't getting the better of you if you don't respond - everyone just assumes that you had to step away from the computer to do something actually productive :D

And I think having a couple additional moderators is a great idea. I'll mention is to El Jéfe the Gasious and see what he thinks.

Any volunteers?

T.
taschutt
Site Admin

Postby taschutt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:41 am

loomisdairy wrote:That's all good, but I reserve the right to sound off on a nimby that pals around with Josh Fox. If that gets me banned GOOD. I won't poke the bear, I want to feed him a NIMBY SANDWICH

And you have every right to give your opinion - just don't YELL, call someone names, or swear at them. I don't want to ban you Loomis - you're part of what keeps things interesting! ;)

I don't spend enough time in here to get all the nuance of different members, but if there is an Anti coming in to just stir up trouble - just let me know. As I said: I'm not here to be the thought police, BUT at the same time this is OUR forum and if someone is being a continual pest just whacking the hornet's nest I'll happily take care of it.
taschutt
Site Admin

Postby gageboys » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

I say BAN LOOMIS!!! :lol: ... or if we can't ban him, all members on this forum get to poke him with a stick. (or hit him over
the head with it) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. It doesn't do any good to hit him, I've tried.
gageboys

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Well you won't have to worry about me admin, I am always nice. :D But then again it would probably depend on who you ask. :shock:

JG
Jersey Girl

Postby WorkItOutAlready » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Tim,

Do you have any influence on the newsfeeds linked on the opening page of the CNYLC web site?

They seem stuck and out of date.
WorkItOutAlready

Postby taschutt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi WorkItOut - I do. I'll take a peek at them and see what's up.

Thanks!
taschutt
Site Admin

Postby loomisdairy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 pm

gageboys wrote:I say BAN LOOMIS!!! :lol: ... or if we can't ban him, all members on this forum get to poke him with a stick. (or hit him over
the head with it) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. It doesn't do any good to hit him, I've tried.

I feel threatened, gage is encouraging violent acts. Tim, any chance you can make me a moderator? :roll:
loomisdairy

Next

Return to General Discussion