Cuomo: Hydrofracking Review "Will Be Done Shortly"

Cuomo: Hydrofracking Review "Will Be Done Shortly"

Postby etothek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:17 pm

This article thanks to JerseyGirl Karen on another forum.

:D

http://capitalbusinessblog.bcnys.org/

This comes to us from Gannett’s Jon Campbell:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo signaled Friday that a resolution to the state’s four-year review of hydraulic fracturing for natural gas could come to a conclusion soon.

During a radio interview, Cuomo said that while there is no deadline, a decision on hydrofracking is imminent.

“We don’t have a hard date, but it will be done shortly,” Cuomo said on Albany’s 1300-AM (WGDJ).

The state Department of Environmental Conservation first launched a regulatory and environmental review of high-volume hydrofracking in July 2008, putting all permits on hold in the meantime.

The agency released draft permitting guidelines in 2009 and 2011, and Cuomo’s remarks signal that a final version is likely soon on its way.

Cuomo said he believes it’s beneficial to make a final determination on hydrofracking when lawmakers aren’t at the Capitol. The 2012 legislative session just wrapped up Thursday, and lawmakers aren’t scheduled to return until 2013, though many expect to return before then.

“I think it’s actually better that we do it when the Legislature is not here, because I don’t want a political discussion,” Cuomo said. “You have enough emotion around this issue already. You have emotion on both sides; you have emotion that is at such a level in some ways it’s governing the conversation.

He continued: “I want to get the conversation back to facts and logic and science and information, and reduce the temperature of the conversation, pardon the pun.”

A plan floated last week would allow a limited number of hydrofracking permits in five counties near the Pennsylvania border: Broome, Tioga, Chenango, Chemung and Steuben.

In addition, the municipalities would have to give an OK before a gas well would be drilled there.

The plan has received significant criticism from environmental and anti-fracking groups, with close to 100 of them joining together to oppose the plan in a rally at the Capitol on Wednesday.

Cuomo has not confirmed or denied the potential plan, but spoke Friday about the issue of “home rule” — whether municipalities should be able to ban gas-drilling and hydrofracking within their borders.

“This is the classic balance of the state’s role versus local government’s role versus federal,” Cuomo said. “And many times the state takes the position of, ‘Thank you federal government for your opinion, but we’re going to do it our way.’ Many times a town or a city will say, ‘That’s nice, I’m glad you think that Albany, but stick to Albany, we know better. Government closest to home knows the best.’ ”
etothek

Re: Cuomo: Hydrofracking Review "Will Be Done Shortly"

Postby imgasious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:36 pm

"Government closest to home knows best." - Cuomo

Has local government spent millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours on this subject? Have they hired hydrologiests, seismologists and scientists? Have they taken core samples of wells and received technical data from PA, TX, OH, WY, OK on the issues of well construction and drilling? Or have local governments merely done google searches and received email forwards? Who really knows best?
imgasious

Postby gasinator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:12 pm

It's obvious Towns and Villages aren't capable of dealing with this. It needs to be dealt with by the current state laws as they were set in place for this exact reason.
OR one acre one vote !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gasinator

Postby imgasious » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Let's do home rule for deer and turkey hunting regulations. I'm going to ask my town board for unlimited buck and doe licenses and I want my 8 year old to be able to hunt deer. Just tell the DEC, "thanks for your work on deer management but government closest to home knows best."
imgasious

Postby virtuallyme » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:23 am

Lets start issuing our own permits
virtuallyme

Postby gasinator » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 am

The first place that should be drilled is Cuomo's a _ _ , to see if his head is up there. :o
gasinator

Postby imgasious » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 am

If government closest to home works best, why are our towns waiting on the state to issue permits for drilling? If my town says it's safe to drill, then get the industry here to drill right now. What have we been waiting for? Tell the state, "thanks for your study, but our town board already feels drilling can occur safely. We are going ahead with drilling and do not need any state oversight." We are going to enact "home rule."

As I also mentioned in a post above, let's practice home rule in relation to hunting regulations and seasons. Tell the state that we know best about our deer populations and weapons used in hunting season. In fact, Hunting seasons? What if we expanded the length of the season based upon our superior knowledge? We are going to enact "home rule." (on a serious note, could a town board, opposed to hunting, shut down hunting in their town based upon "home rule?" They could switch to mechanical and medicinal means of population control and outlaw the barbaric practice of killing animals.)

In my town, most feel turkey season opens too late (May 1st). Thankfully, because of "home rule," our town can now change that date to April 15th to create a better turkey season.

I'm thinking of building a pond on my property that is 4 acres. I know that it will be the size the state normally permits and oversees, but my town board knows best.

The list can grow long of numerous issues the state has studied in which they will never allow "home rule." I guess that gas drilling, the issue for which they have invested the most study and regulation, is the only one that they'll defer to the towns, who have the least amount of study and expertise on the subject. I thought this was all about "science and facts!"
imgasious

Return to General Discussion