Potection of Our environment

Potection of Our environment

Postby chux4est » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:54 am

The gas companies have a responsibility to protect the environment. The state and all of the various agencies have a responsibility to oversee the protection of the environment. We the landowners have an expectation that these parties will do their jobs. The lease contract must be written to guarantee the protection of the environment and the landowner. However, why should the landowner expect less for his/her land because of this? I think that landowners are too quick to think that demanding the environment be protected equals less compensation.

The coalition's poll on this subject kinda makes it seem like a "no" vote means you only want money and don't care about the environment. I think a "no" vote can mean "I'm not paying for what the gas company already has a responsibility for".

-Chuck
Last edited by chux4est on Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chux4est

Re: Potection of Our environment

Postby Bonafide » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:16 pm

I agree! the question should be reasked.
Bonafide

Postby chux4est » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:11 am

Bonafide wrote:I agree! the question should be reasked.

Bonafide-

Thanx, maybe I should have posted this in the general discussion area. I'm glad you understand what I'm trying to say. The bonus amounts, so far, are pretty low compared to what we think is down there. I don't want us to think we're on the negotiating defensive just because we won't allow the O&Gs to rape the environment!!! We don't live in the 1940's, it's a new world and they are going to be forced to be responsible for what they do here. I hope others will get in on this discussion.

-Chuck
chux4est

Postby Garth » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 am

I agree. Basic protection of the environment should be a given.

If DEC imposes new regulations, like maybe only closed-loop drilling, with no evaporation ponds (a rule I wouldn't mind seeing), then the gas companies may say "Woe is us! We can't afford to drill now." Or, "We can't afford to give you more than a $200 per acre bonus and 12.5% royalty." They'll use that excuse for a while till everyone catches on that it's a new form of old BS. Ultimately they'll have to deal with it, and there will still be plenty of room for profit, as long as gas prices stay above $5 per mcfe or so.

I notice that some reports say Marcellus and Utica gas has higher BTU content, and requires less processing, and since it's closer to the big NE markets, it'll command a price as much as $1 per mcfe over Texas gas. That $1 right there will more than cover any increased costs due to DEC or landowner-friendly leases.

So again, as Chuck said, it shouldn't be a choice between protecting the land and making money. For gas companies and landowners alike, it should be, "How can we do both of those things well?"
Garth

Postby thoran254 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:06 am

I totally agree with Chuck. Being in the construction industry the law requires companies to be environmentally sound. Why should we be paying for something that the law already requires. It is up to the city, county and state to oversee these requirements.

Listed below are a few things that are required by law:

wetland protection
erosion control
environmental impact studies
protected species act
water quality contraol
thoran254

Postby Garth » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 am

I just read the article that Richard has linked to on our coalition homepage:

http://catskillcommentator.com/2008/07/ ... s-minimal/

about separating the gas well hysteria from the valid environmental concerns.

Everyone should read this! It's an extremely rational, sane, level-headed look at things.

One quote is particularly relevant to this conversation:

"It’s been shown that ‘closed loop’ systems actually save the drilling companies money while reducing their liability. With environmental pressure building, we’ll see more of these systems in use."

If that's true and the closed-loop systems are cost-effective -- well, that's a no-brainer. I hope the DEC requires them. As Kevin Lewis points out in his article, the evaporation pits are the weakest link in the chain.
Garth

Postby ocean113 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:40 pm

to all
we should not pay or give up funds.
I agree it is not our responsiblity to pay for the portection of the water and physical enviornment. there are local, county, state, and Federal agenciesy job.
Again drilling will create jobs to oversee the laws that will be created will be inforced. The cost of complying with the rules and laws is the cost of doing busy.
if my taxes go up do to increase in staff or emloyees and payrolls that is my cost.
ocean113
ocean113

Postby pondboss » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 pm

i agree these gas companies should be responsible even before leasing...i think they shall pay and be responsible..im sure they have spies watching or on this site...that poll shows weakness they can exploit.
pondboss

Postby chux4est » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:08 am

I'm glad that others see this the same as I do. I thought my original post was going to catch allot of flame. I hope more people chime in on this thread because I think the poll is misleading.

-Chuck
chux4est

Postby edepots » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:46 am

thoran254 wrote:I totally agree with Chuck. Being in the construction industry the law requires companies to be environmentally sound. Why should we be paying for something that the law already requires. It is up to the city, county and state to oversee these requirements.

Listed below are a few things that are required by law:

wetland protection
erosion control
environmental impact studies
protected species act
water quality contraol

Did not the present administration declare gas and oil companies exempt from the Environmental Protection Act that would in every other circumstance be in place to protect us? I think environmental protection has become the landowners responsiblity as well as the gas companies. We need a good sound lease that will protect us and our neighbors.
edepots

Next

Return to Environmental Issues