LEASES

LEASES

Postby Rlasky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:46 am

What are the problems you see with our eviornment after the drilling has begun? .Do you know anything about bad things that happened as well as good? Would you take less money per acre as long as the eviornment was potected? Let's discuss the issues as you see them. Please make comments to articles posted if you want to voice your opinion to them.
Rlasky

Re: LEASES

Postby snbfarmer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:36 am

Water and noise. It is not clear to me where all the water comes from and I will assume they won't be tapping the same water as my 150 ft well, but that is a lease issue perhaps? I am not concerned with the drilling process per se as long as the lease requires mitgation of the drill site. I understand that there are compressors for the pipeline and that these can be well insulated or not, depending on the company.
snbfarmer

Postby Farmer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am

Rlasky wrote:What are the problems you see with our eviorment after the drilling has begun..Do you know any stories about bad things that happened as well as goood? Would you take less money per acre as long as the eviorment was potected? Let's discuss the issues as you see them.

How do you know if it is a truth or a story because everyone knows that the more a "story" gets told they always get better!!! I for one don't want to see anything happen with the groundwater that we use for us and the cows..Wether it is contamanation from drilling or messing up a water well when they are drilling!!
Farmer

Postby Bonafide » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:47 am

I'm mostly concerned on the water being contaminated and they need to take all the liabity for the drilling and pipelines and clean up. This maybe the only shot we get at this, so lets get the best royaltes and $$ per acre we can, But they must be held responable for their drilling and work done on our lands..
Bonafide

Postby buckshot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Contamination of the groundwater is my biggest concern.They use alot of water along with toxic chemicals when they drill.
buckshot

Postby RKO333 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I agree with Bonafide. In addition, I believe the gas companies need to hold us harmless and take responsibility if something does go wrong and they affect lands around us that are not in the coalition. I would think that the lease would contain safeguards, but accidents do happen. Great site and good to be able to talk and ask questions.
RKO333

Postby edepots » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 am

I, too, am most concerned about ground water contamination. And also about where they cart away toxic waste to and if that facility can in fact handle it. I do not want what we do on our land to be dumped in someone elses lap to deal with.

And in case of a spill or leak I would hope the lease makes the gas companies fully responsible for the clean up...to the standards that we agree on if the DEC's standards (or the state's standards) do not protect us enough.
edepots

Postby trigger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:56 am

I, for one, plan to do water testing on my own before any drilling starts ... there is a water testing facility right on East River Rd in Norwich ... I'll get the details and post them - how to collect a sample, price (I don't think it's very expensive) etc. This will give you a baseline to compare in case of any future contamination. I wouldn't let the gas concerns do it for you ... they could tell you anything. Then, I plan do do my own testing later if we get a gas well on the property.
We should also think about helping out the county, township, or city by imposing some kind of surcharge or bond issue from the gas companies for expansion of waste-water treatment facilities in our area as the capacity and capability of existing facilities in the area will soon be stressed. It's a win-win - we hedge our capacity to deal with the extra waste-water being generated as drilling expands and the gas company gets an increase in their capacity for safe disposal. I believe the Town of Smyrna proposed such a surcharge and was successful ... I get the feeling that after negotiation with the gas company, they felt they could have asked for more.... can anyone confirm this?
trigger

Postby snbfarmer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am

Water testing needs to be done under the lease. If you alone do it the gas company can basically ignore your results in case of a problem. This is reasonable. Don't assume that the companies are crooked but they will take advantage of the lease terms. I am all in favor of asking for surcharges, new treatment plants, remediation for everything, a new zoo, light rail line, etc. etc. but these companies all have hurdle returns on investment and all these things lower the expected returns and, therefore, what they can offer us.
snbfarmer

Return to Environmental Issues